For cryin' out loud... Re: [TenTec] Powermite Users Group?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: For cryin' out loud... Re: [TenTec] Powermite Users Group?
From: n4xy@earthlink.net (Ed Tanton)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 22:42:20 -0500
Hello Paul... et al... I'm certain we are (or at least: "were") as welcome
as anyone on the "REAL Ten*Tec reflector" Paul... but there's nothing at
all wrong with a discussion group about a sub-topic that... well... has
nothing but a logo to do with all the very fine NEW stuff being produced. I
seriously doubt anyone would have ever said a word when details about
improving PowerMites, or about PowerMite-to-PowerMite QSOs, were threaded
over and over again. After all, they ARE Ten* Tec's too. Yet, many DELETE
keys would have been worked very hard clearing out the PM stuff many TT
aficionados aren't the least bit interested in.

OTOH... as much as I like Ten*Tec-the-company, there's NO CHANCE anywhere
in the near future I can afford the nice one. I just wish I could afford to
get my (or another one like it) OMNI VI back. The idea of $4000 for ANY Ham
Radio XCVR in THIS economy continues to boggle my mind. As I have said
before, and pointedly to TT management,  the idea of $4000 for an
otherwise-modern Ham Radio XCVR   ** with a B&W screen **   utterly BLOWS
mind. (Yes I know: no one would have heard more than the slightest little
"pop" when it went.) IF I had the $4000 to spare, I would immediately buy
the nice RX-340 TT Receiver... but certainly not an that expensive an XCVR
from anyone. That fact limits my interest in the majority of the posts on
the reflector... but I wouldn't dream of leaving (well... voluntarily,
anyway). I love the company, I love the OMNI VI, and I have an abiding
interest in that truly small subtopic: the PowerMite. (OK... I also OWN
(and like to read about) the Argonaut II and the PARAGON... and would like
to get a good example of the '509.)

What does the paragraph above have to do with a spin-off TT-PM reflector?
It is meant to illustrate that with the diversity of products from
TT-versus detailed commentary on a "Vintage Solid State" rig that is
technically somewhere near the Solid-State Stone Age; with that diversity,
some-if not many-people might not so be interested in frequent, detailed
QSO accounts of TT-PM users-much less DC receiver improvements on a
try-this-then-try-that basis, for a 30+ year old QRP XCVR.

What I suppose I resent here is the tone of your note Paul. If it had been
PRIVATE, I would have merely been somewhat offended. It sounds haughty. As
a PUBLIC comment, it takes on different implications, and I am thoroughly
offended, instead. It sounds as if "we three" are up to something; or have,
in some way, intentionally insulted the reflector. I do not personally
believe that anyone intended any such thing. If the Interest Group crashes
and burns for lack of interest, then so be it. That'll be just fine. It
sounded like a good idea at the time (to me, anyway.)

If ANYTHING significant (technically speaking) about PowerMites had come
up, I would have been the first to transport it over. Now I am less certain
that I would care to.

I have to be missing something here.

Regardless, this will be my last Reflector-wide comment on the subject. I
will not be drawn into a mud-slinging contest for any reason. If I have
anything else to say, it will be PRIVATE w/o regard for other future
"PUBLIC" comments by anyone.

73 Ed Tanton N4XY <n4xy@earthlink.net>

Ed Tanton N4XY
189 Pioneer Trail