[TenTec] TT526: VHF/p Upgrade Modification - Has Anyone Tried This?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT526: VHF/p Upgrade Modification - Has Anyone Tried This?
From: msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mark S. Adams, P.E.)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:41:12 -0500
Hi Gang,

I am agonizing over how to improve my VHF+ QRP portable contest setup. One
obvious choice of rigs is to use the 526 for 6m, 2m AND as as transverter
for 1296 and 10GHz, the next two bands that I plan on adding. The theory
here is to be able to hook up 6, 2 AND a transverter or box that would
switch in/out numerous transverters on the fly.

Out of the box, the 526 will accept EITHER a 2m antenna, or a transverter.
I think one could modify the rig by adding a switch and relay that would
allow BOTH 2M and transverter operation at a flip of that switch.  Without
this switching, one would have to manually switch antennas and might put
10W into a transverter RX out port. It also solves the problem of having to
reach to the back of the rig to switch between 2m and XVTR.

This option would make the 526 a neat rig. The switch could be included in
the aforementioned transverter switch box or a connector could be added to
the back of the 526 so that a little box and switch with a pigtail could be
attached when needed (out in the field).

Now I know what you're thinking.

1. The 526 is not much of a rig.
2. Both 2M and 10GHz would be in the same box making it hard to liason for
sucessful uW contacts.

Well, #1 is only an issue if you are operating in a big signal environment,
which I am not. And as for #2, I could use my FT817 for liason, albeit with
5W instead of 20W. I do have a nice big antenna for 2M though.

My goal is to make things VERY portable and easy to interface while using
gear that is easy on my batteries.

Any thoughts??

73 and Happy New Year,
Mark K2QO