[TenTec] Crows on antenna wire

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Crows on antenna wire
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:54:24 -0600
Sorry, just gotta tell this story.
I feed birds, and have a large number of large white wing doves who have
learned to be hanging feeder users rather than ground feeders as normal.

One day one was awaiting his turn at the hanging feeder near my Gap Titan
vertical and he landed on a nylon guy line, which was angled about 45
degrees.   It was slick enough he could not grip it well enough, but while
still gripping it, he commenced to rotate around the guy line until he was
almost upside down before he got his wings going enough to fly off!  Really
funny to see him spin in slow motion!

Still see them try this from time to time.  They also sharpen their beaks on
the wire counterpoise element at the base of the main antenna, which is
going to require me to replace wire with broken strands over several years
of bird attacks!
73, Stuart K5KVH