[TenTec] Omni VI Resistor circuit locations

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Resistor circuit locations
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:15:16 -0500
> through D30, and replaced each of Ten Tec's 'cheap' pin-diodes with the
> more expensive and 'better' (and Mr. Rhode's recommended) HP-5082-3081
> pin-diodes. Since the best operating point of the HP diodes occurred
> with about 100ma flowing through them, I had to decrease the value of
> R14, R15, R25, and R26. Took several hours and very careful soldering,
> but I knew it would be better!

Yes, the milage truly does vary!  I replaced all BP board diodes with the HP
5082 types as suggested by U. Rhode and had very
satisfactory results.  Like you, I had to re-bias the diodes in order to place
them into a linear operating region.   The work was
so invasive that I would not recommend it for the minimal benefit derived.

One of the most dramatic changes I performed was replacing the three 1N4007 T/R
diodes with Microsemi UM-2110 types.  These are 1KW
F.F. PIN diodes that improved the main-to aux receive antenna isolation to
better than 70 dB.  Now, an extrmemely strong 40M BC
station is barely audible when the aux Rx antenna is slected into a dummy load.
 Prior to that, perhaps only 40 dB of isolation was
achieved with the stock diodes.  With the same 40M BC signal, the S meter would
often read S9 or more on the aux RX antenna with the
dummy load attached.