[TenTec] [OT] Metal Roof as Ground Plane

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [OT] Metal Roof as Ground Plane
From: W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com (W1GOR)
Date: Tue Jan 21 18:33:44 2003
Mark,

Your metal barn will make a great ground-plane, but I'd like to bring up a
few issues that you ought to consider.
In total area, the barn roof is acceptable for the higher HF bands, but
would be a bit short for 40 and 80 meters.   If you mount the vertical
antenna at the center of the roof, the effective 'radial' length would be
about 15 by 24 feet, depending upon the slope of the roof.   A typical 80
meter radial is over 60 feet long.   I have a question for you... What is
the distance from ground level to the beginning of the roof..?   Since the
barn is all metal, the vertical walls will become part of the ground-plane,
so you can include the walls in your calculations.

>From my personal experience, metal buildings, in general, are well made in
structural terms, but not too well electrically.  Several years ago,  I used
a metal building as a ground-plane on 15 through 6 meters.  When the
building was new, everything worked very well, but after a few years, I
experienced variations in SWR in windy weather.  The problem was that there
was little or no bonding between the metal panels.   I tried to install
bonding straps between panels to cure the problem, but I ran into mechanical
problems.   In my case, the roof was made of very long interlocking panels
which were difficult to bond using strapping, so I emptied the building to
avoid a fire, and used an arc welder to tack the panels together.   Ever
since I welded the panels, the SWR problems went away, and a side benefit is
that the building became much quieter in windy weather <grin>...

73, Larry - W1GOR