[TenTec] Running TT amps (Centurion) with the Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Running TT amps (Centurion) with the Corsair II
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Tue Jan 28 10:21:59 2003
Hi Dave,

I'm copying this to the TT Reflector in case someone else some day wants to
know this.  This topic has been covered in various ways before (see post by
Scott Robbins on 6 March 1998) but I'm going to describe the exact
connections.  These are for the later Corsair IIs which have the break-in
keying loop (N.B. In 1998 S.R. wrote that TT would install the loop in early
CIIs that did not have it as a stock feature).  This is the setup that works
for me.  I'm not sure if it's the only way or if there is a better way.

Rundown:
You need 3 phono cables with RCA phono plugs on the ends, and are long
enough to run between the amp and the CII.

On the front panel of the TT amp (Centurion in my case) there is a two
position switch:  one side is PTT/VOX and the other is QSK.

On the back panel of the amp there are three phono jacks:  Key Out, Key In,
and PTT/VOX.

On the back panel of the CII there are three phono jacks:  Ext TR, Keyer
Out, and Key.  For cw operation, Keyer Out = TX OUT and Key = TX EN found on
the later rigs.  This is an amp keying loop with the built in cw keyer but
unlike the later TT rigs, you need the Ext TR jack for keying the amp on
phone.

What to do:

Run a phono cable from CII Ext. TR to the PTT/VOX jack on the amp.
Run a phono cable from CII Keyer Out to the Key In jack on the amp.
Run a phono cable from CII Key to the Key Out jack on the amp.

When driving the amp on cw leave the front panel switch on the amp in the
QSK position.  When operating the CII on SSB, switch the amp over to
PTT/VOX.    That last part is the only difference between running the
Corsair II with an amp and the later TT rigs for which you leave the amp in
QSK regardless of mode.

Hope this helps & 73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ