[TenTec] Orion, NRD-545, DSP, filters etc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion, NRD-545, DSP, filters etc
From: CAlderma@ora.fda.gov (Alderman, Chester)
Date: Tue Jan 28 10:23:20 2003
Tim,

        The filters were not thrown into the Orion...they are in there for a
specific and important purpose. Most all ham radios, to be competitive, must
have the ability to operate the FM mode. FM requires a 'wide' bandwidth of
about 20kc. So the receivers front end is always open to at least 20kc of
bandwidth (the IF is a different story). Ten Tec used the 9 MHz for the
first IF because they knew most Ten Tec owners already have those filters
available (and wouldn't normally have to buy more filters). They also
changed the receiver design such that the USER can select the roofing filter
(which is the 9MHz filters). If your NOT using the FM mode, you can drop the
front end bandwidth from 20kc down to 2.4kc, 1.8kc, or 500Hz...the USERS
choice. That really does make a big difference, especially if your into
chasing DX or contesting. THIS IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I'M GOING TO BUY
AN ORION!

        I, personally, am not convinced yet that DSP is the filter savior of
the world...have you ever heard of marketing?!  I think if your mainly going
to work SSB, then DSP will help you. BUT if your going to mainly work CW
(me), your really going to have to have DAMN good DSP filtering to beat
crystal lattice filtering. (Keep in mind: my opinion)

        It is true that the Pro II is a VERY competitive radio for SSB
operation. Only actual on the air test by USERS is going to determine how
the Orion stacks up against the Pro II. Naturally Pro II owners are going to
claim it's the best; and Orion owners are going to claim it's the best. But
of course the reality is that it is the individual user who decides what
suit's them best.

Tom/W4BQF