[TenTec] Orion, NRD-545, DSP, filters etc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion, NRD-545, DSP, filters etc
From: farson@shaw.ca (Adam Farson)
Date: Tue Jan 28 20:45:37 2003
Hi Tim,

It hurts to admit this, but I believe that in the matter of CW capability we
are up against the ugly realities of the marketplace.

The amateur segment is only a part of the  major Japanese radio equipment
manufacturers' overall customer base. They also supply the commercial,
governmental, military/paramilitary, maritime and aviation sectors.

Morse radiotelegraphy is all but extinct in these radio services (except for
some military special forces).  There is a very strong possibility that
WRC-2003 will repeal S.25.5 (the Morse code proficiency requirement in the
ARS). Considering all of this, it is easy to understand a manufacturer's
reluctance to devote significant R&D resources on CW capability in HF
equipment.

Nonetheless, it is regrettable that Icom does not wish to expend just a few
more R&D person-hours to refine and complete what is already there, and
working pretty well, albeit with a few warts as George outlined. This is
especially true if a few firmware "tweaks" are all it takes.

If Ten-Tec can carve out a niche for itself as a supplier of CW-optimised HF
transceivers, it will have an assured market as long as there are amateur CW
operators.

Best 73,
Adam, VA7OJ/AB4OJ
North Vancouver, BC, Canada