[TenTec] Corsair II sidetone

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II sidetone
From: wb8yqj@yahoo.com (Don Rasmussen)
Date: Tue Feb 18 01:01:54 2003
George wrote:
I am unaware that any change are made in the DSP
processing that "changes the entire range of receive
audio..."

Hi George and guys,

To make this obvious on the 756p select a 500hz BFP
filter and tune to 7.0 Mhz CW with an antenna
connected with no received signal. Use the default CW
pitch/sidetone of 600hz. Turn up the AF gain. Hear
that "ocean in a seashell" that also has a pronounced
hollow component to it?

If you are used to a quiet CW receiver it can be
obvious and fatiguing. Using an MS4 at about 6 inches
from my ear it's only good for about 10 minutes at a
time.

I really hope the Orion does better with this, I think
that the implimentation of the DSP for CW will be far
more important than the grey/black color issue!

When you rotate the CW PITCH control fully clockwise
there is a noticable change in the sound of the
receiver. There is a higher pitch to the receiver hiss
and most of the hollow component is gone. That's key
because at this point you can use the filters
selection to dial much of the rest out.

I selected a 600hz filter and narrowed it down to
200hz
with the PBT controls (on Adams suggestion). Much
improved.

Finally, increase the RF gain to S3 or so to attenuate
the residual. Now the 756p sounds nearly as nice as
the
Corsair II during a noisy night on 40 meters. hi. The
RF gain also defeats a small amount of the AGC action
so you hear some emphasis of the changing signal
strength in the audio, like the Corsair.

In my original post I was suggesting that in this
configuration the DSP sounds good, but you are locked
into a 900hz sidetone because it is not independently
adjustable.

This is just one CW op's opinion!

73,
de WB8YQJ