[TenTec] help re Omni VI+ filters?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] help re Omni VI+ filters?
From: CAlderma@ora.fda.gov (Alderman, Chester)
Date: Thu Feb 20 06:46:19 2003
Tim....

        I know you don't like hearing from me because of my comments to W5YR
about his anti-Ten Tec stance, but you asked for info on the Omni 6.

        I'm 95% CW op and have had an Omni 6 for a little over 10 years,
running contest, QRQ, chasing low band DX, and general rag chewing. I have
found the best filters (for me) are, for the 9MHz IF, the 1.8kc and a 500Hz
filter. For the 6MHz IF, I use a 1.8kc, 500Hz and the 250Hz filters. I also
went the expensive route and bought all of the available Inrad filters and I
can honestly say, in my opinion, I did not gain very much in terms of less
passband ripple or skirt selectivity. Inrad filters are good, but to my ear,
they are no better than the stock TenTec filters.

        Glad to hear you are observing the Omni 6 rcvr!! I bought one
FT-1000MP and about six different Icom IC-781 xcvr's and compared each radio
with A/B switching of my antennas, to the Omni 6 (Mod 3). The FT-1KMP really
sucked for CW and the IC-781's matched the Omni 6 performance with the
exception the IC-781 not being able to dig very weak 80m DX signals out of
the noise of that band.

        Anyway, good luck with your Omni 6, I'm pretty sure your really
gonna love it.

Tom/W4BQF