[TenTec] Argonaut V mic

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V mic
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Mon Feb 24 09:32:58 2003
Further to what I had written earlier,  I put little value on where a mike
level control is resting, be it 8 o'clock, 9 o'clock 3 o'clock and etc.
Mikes are different in output level.  Even the same model may have
differences in output level even though we would like to think that this is
not the case.  This is compounded by a difference in operators voice and
most importantly, the distance from the mouth to the mike.  The mike to
mouth distance with regard to mike output follows the inverse square law of
physics.  Also, I've observed that a given radio may show different ALC
action with different bands and also different loads (antenna Z) on the PA.
This is normal.

Consistence in operation and set-up should yield consistent results.  Again,
speaking normally, adjust the mike gain for frequent but not constant flash
with normal speech.  Keep in mind that on most radios, a reduction or
increase of the RF power control will most likely require a change in mike
gain in order to maintain correct ALC action.  When an internal processor is
used, the processing level is adjusted correctly first and then the mike
level is adjusted for correct ALC action.  Increasing processor levels or
increasing mike gain will generally produce only a higher average power from
the transmitter but at the sacrifice of audio quality and most likely
spectrum being used.  Switching the processor out will most likely require
adjustment of the mike gain.  Riley H (FCC.GOV) has had some recent comments
on this topic.

One of my pet peeves is buckshot from a SSB signal 10 to 20 kHz away from
where I'm operating.  Typically this is caused by something being overdriven
or thusly  incorrectly adjusted on the transmitter or amplifier at the
offending station.  There is simply no valid reason for this happening.

73
Bob, K4TAX