[TenTec] no voltage to 1.8 filter?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] no voltage to 1.8 filter?
From: calderman@cox.net (Chester)
Date: Sat Mar 1 18:45:15 2003
        No Tim. If you look at the schematic of the 'Passband Tuning
Board', you will see that the 1.8kc position has a diode at the filters
input (and two diodes at the filters output). On my schematic (81781),
the diodes are labeled D9 and D10/D11 respectively. However, next locate
connector 41 and put your voltmeter on the pin for 1.8KHz. See if you
have voltage there when you press the button.

        The connector 41 1.8KHz pin ONLY feeds the 1.8kc filter
position, through R30, R31, R32, and R33. You MUST have voltage at the
junction of R32 and R33 to get a signal into the filter. AND you MUST
have voltage at the junction of L12 and D10 to get a signal out of the
filter.

        In case you do NOT have voltage at connector 41, 1.8KHz pin,
then you MUST have a broken wire between connector 41 on the Logic Board
and the Pass Band Tuning board. I say this because the voltage required
to turn on the 1.8KHz filter comes from U22/pin 13, to connector 41 and
also to connector 95. Connector 95 goes to your keypad, so if your 1.8
filter light turns on, that means the voltage coming from U22 is
good...it's just not getting to your Pass Band Tuning board connector
41.

        Before getting too excited, try what someone has already
suggested. That is to pull the filter board almost out of the socket on
the PBT board. I, too, have had one filter where the pins on the filter
board were a tad too long and when I pushed the filter board all the way
down, it shorted out the filter.

        But since you say your 1.8kc light on the front panel turns on
when you push the 1.8 button, the ONLY place you can have a problem is
the above mentioned diodes, resistors, and inductor, and possibly a
broken wire in the wiring harness if you are not getting voltage at the
PBT board connector 41.

        Good hunting....but don't give up!!

Tom/W4BQF
calderman AT cox.net