[TenTec] Just back from Charlotte...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Just back from Charlotte...
From: K4RKM@DirecWay.com (K4RKM)
Date: Sun Mar 9 21:21:02 2003
Just back from the Charlotte, NC HamFest and ORION Form.

The following are my personal observations on the ORION (in no
particular order) and the usual 'small print' applies.

Verified shipping: "in one or two weeks".

There were three ORION's there.  Two on the floor and one in the ORION
Forum conference room.  Only one appeared to be of the 'latest and
greatest' configuration.  It had:
-- A working spectrum display!!  100kHz scan width (or may select less)
                                                    300 Hz "resolution"
-- The final S-meter configuration.  For illumination:  five AMBER LEDs.
(Now that the front panel is fixed(stable), look for "official" photos
as soon as the troops have a spare moment.)

Ten-Tec in attendance:
  Stan Brock  -  on the floor
  Scott Robbins                  -
  Doug Smith                      - @ ORION Forum
  plus several T-T big-wigs -

Doug Smith gave a very good review of his "Why I designed the ORION the
way I did" paper.  (See T-T link to Doug's web site.)

Roofing Filters:  There are actually(potentially) SEVEN filters!  One
basic - always on- 15kHz filter, plus the three other standard and the
three optional filters.

USR Configurations:  Four, one is factory default - but may be changed.
These are snap-shots of the unit's configuration settings.  May set one
up for Contesting, one for PSK, etc..

'Channel' Memory:  100 memories shared by both receivers.
(Freq,mode,AGC, etc.)

Reason for Mono main display:
  #1.  Cost,
  #2.  Cost,
  #3.  Cost.
  Also considered:  Additional time required to program firmware,
                             Possible additional Dragonball processor load.
(Personally, I find the mono display lacks s*x appeal.  But, as the
saying goes: "The proof of the pudding is ... "!  Perhaps it will wear well.

Units will ship with final version of User's Manual AND a Service Manual!

I'm already holding my breath.  My early July order is supposed to be in
the first batch... .  Cann't wait!!

Bob Margeson    K4RKM