[TenTec] Just back from Charlotte...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Just back from Charlotte...
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales)
Date: Mon Mar 10 16:52:06 2003
[Regarding Orion at Charlotte]:

At 09:20 PM 3/9/03 -0500, K4RKM wrote:

>-- A working spectrum display!!  100kHz scan width (or may select less)
>                                                    300 Hz "resolution"

The "or may select less" part of this may end up as a future firmware
upgrade to the Orion.  At the moment, it's fixed at 100 kHz (this was a
question that came up at the forum).

>-- The final S-meter configuration.  For illumination:  five AMBER LEDs.
>(Now that the front panel is fixed(stable), look for "official" photos
>as soon as the troops have a spare moment.)

Yes - after playing with a bunch of different colors and number of
LED's to illuminate the S-meter, the final verdict was five amber LED's
lighting the meter.  The eagle-eyed might have noticed that the
Orion we used at the forum was a prototype that used four green LED's,
which looks way too "washed out" under typical room lighting.

>Doug Smith gave a very good review of his "Why I designed the ORION the
>way I did" paper.  (See T-T link to Doug's web site.)

Doug is giving a presentation on Orion and DSP in Atlanta tonight, and
when he returns on Wednesday I plan to take a bunch of the graphs
(block diagrams, mostly) regarding the Orion and place them on the
TT565 page on our website.

>'Channel' Memory:  100 memories shared by both receivers.
>(Freq,mode,AGC, etc.)

It does say 100 on our literature, and we said 100, and today I got
an email from upstairs that it's actually going to be 200.  Will update
the spec page shortly.

>Units will ship with final version of User's Manual AND a Service Manual!

Yes - the manual is always the last item finished with our rigs, and there have
been instances where the rig was ready and we sent the complete manual
later (Jupiter and RX-340 being the most recent that come to mind).
W1AEL and crew are writing non-stop as we speak to avoid doing this
with the Orion if at all possible.

73
Scott Robbins
W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales@tentec.com
              Service department                         service@tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!