[TenTec] OmniVI Opt3 question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OmniVI Opt3 question
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Sat Mar 15 15:50:15 2003
I have an Omni VI/Opt 1, and the frequency stability has benefited GREATLY
from two modifications.

The first mod is to replace the crystal oven with the TXCO.  This is not a
big deal to install, although the instructions could be a little clearer.  I
don't know if there is, and didn't see, a difference in stability once the
rig has been running for a half-hour between the two setups, but the TXCO
doesn't drift nearly as much during warm-up.  This is one of those changes
that can't hurt, but probably doesn't help much if at all.  If anything, it
keeps the rig so that the display matches the actual frequency better but
doesn't seem to affect staying on a particular frequency once the rig is
warmed up.

The second mod, and it really makes a difference, is to replace the two
crystals on the BFO board with higher tolerance parts.  I found that when I
did this, I was able to hold to within 10 hz... the factory crystals would
allow the rig to drift during transmit as much as 40 hz (within Ten-Tec's
spec of 50 hz, which works for CW and SSB but isn't suitable for some of the
newer HF digital modes).  Ten-Tec will tell you that the rig is working
within spec (which it is) but I wanted better.

This doesn't seem like a lot, but if you're running a mode where tuning is
critical (like MFSK), the difference is in a rig that is hard to keep tuned
and one that stays tuned.  In PSK31, the difference here is that you don't
walk down the band.  Even when you have transmit locked in your software,
you will start seeing the transmit and receive indicators on your waterfall
'walk', and if the other op isn't similarly locked HE will walk down the
band in order to stay with you.

The crystal change will run you about $50 for the two crystals including
shipping, and take about 20 minutes, most of that time being taking the top
cover off, unplugging the various cables, and reversing this when you
re-install the board.  You will need a frequency counter to re-align this
board once you have completed the modification.

Note that the 9.003300 Mhz crystal is not an off-the-shelf product.  I tried
the crystal #s recommended in the list archive and they don't work... the
crystal can't be 'pulled' far enough.  I spent $60 and waited for over a
month to get a custom crystal made, but now I have a source for these and
they know what to do.  The custom crystal is designed specifically to be
frequency stable even though it is being pulled a way.  (I think this is why
the BFO board was redesigned for the VI+.)  These crystals are much cheaper
if we can put together a bulk order, so if there is any interest in a 'BFO
kit' for the VI please contact me.

I can't recommend this mod highly enough.  It really makes the Omni VI a
great rig for HF digital modes, and VERY frequency stable (much better than
the original specs).

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net