[TenTec] downloading updates

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] downloading updates
From: jdunbar28@mchsi.com (Jim Dunbar)
Date: Sun Mar 30 18:47:53 2003
Hi Dennis,

For your situation, it would be great if you added a LinkSys Wireless access
point in your computer room upstairs.

I have one in my office which is connected to my cable modem, and my office
computers, and I also have a laptop with a LinkSys USB wireless client that
allows me to have high speed access anywhere in the house.

The Linksys Wireless Access Point is a combination wireless router and a
four port ethernet switch / router. So, in your case you would interconnect
your DSL modem to the LinkSys Wireless Access Point / Switch / Router and
then you would connect your office desktop computer to the LinkSys router on
one of the four ethernet ports.

Then you would use either a USB wirelss client or a PCMCIA card for your
laptop. If you use the USB wireless client you need at least one USB port on
the laptop, or alternatively you could use the PCMCIA card as a  substitute
for the USB wireless client. I like the wireless USB client because it is
about the size of a deck of playing cards, and you just  put it on the table
or desk near your laptop.........

Therefore, you would then have high speed internet access downstairs without
having to run any network wiring, and you would also be able to connect
directly via your serial or parallel port on the computer to your
RIG...........

The LinkSys Wireless Access Points / Switch / Routers (4 port model), and
the wireless client (either USB or PCMCIA) are all available at Radio Shack,
and the prices are very reasonable.............

Once you get into high speed wireless Ethernet LANs in your house, you never
go back............They are great............

If you need any help in how to configure and set up this network, I can help
you............It is pretty straight forward.

You just need to be sure that you have supported operating systems for the
device drivers such as Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, etc;..........The
latest LinkSys site lets you know which operating systems are supported. You
can also get this info from Radio Shack.........

73s,

Jim
K4PV