[TenTec] Old Modes never die... they just get soundcard support!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Old Modes never die... they just get soundcard support!
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Sat Apr 5 07:29:47 2003

Duane Grotophorst wrote:

> With a DSP IF radio there is no good technical reason
> that the modulation and demodulation of most data mode
> signals should not be done in the radios DSP itself,

Duane, I agree with you...unfortunately, the radio manufactures have not
yet reached that exalted state.

> All this debate about FSK vs. AFSK is a little silly.

I respectfully disagree, at least as long as *many* operators are
clueless as to how to properly set their AFSK transmit levels to avoid
really bad sounding, distorted signals you hear during every contest.
And then there are the REALLY clueless on AFSK that have their mike live
at the same time ("Hey Gertrude, bring me another cuppa cawfee...");
actually heard during an RTTY contest! True FSK (or even "quasi-FSK"
i.e. a DC signal that keys an *internal* tone generator) makes these all
too common problems go away.

73/Carter/K8VT