[TenTec] 60M

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 60M
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Fri May 16 01:16:39 2003
Translation:

We (ie the FCC) recognize that the amateurs have a legitimate need for
frequencies on 60 Meters, but because the NTIA (hiding behind the smoke and
mirrors of "homeland security") is afraid that amateurs might actually use
the band and theoretically cause interference, we're only giving amateurs
five discreet frequencies, even though this reduces the flexibility of
amateurs to change frequency or modes to avoid interference.

And since the NTIA can't handle non-voice modes, we're going to limit those
channels to SSB.  Too bad if amateurs want to use anything else.

Futher, we're going to limit output power to 50 Watts ERP, figuring 50 Watts
(PEP) into a dipole, so if amateurs want to play around with antennas, they
have to cut their power accordingly, and had better be able to prove that
they calculated the appropriate amount of power to cut back by.

Oh yes, Novices and Techs need not bother to apply for 60 meters.
I didn't expect (after the NTIA through in their last minute objections...
and wasn't it after the close of comments?  So much for following the rules)
all 150 kHz that was requested.  I thought we might get 50 kHz to start, at
least.  But 5 channels at roughly 3 kHz per voice... 15 kHz?  Sheesh.  Why
bother?

Don't get me wrong, this will be a nice band for some experimentation in
antennas and propagation, but I just don't see what practical use we'll be
able to make of it.  If it had been even 25 kHz contigous that we could have
used for CW and/or data, maybe, but this?

I hope this is an aberration, or at least the first toe of a foot in the
door.  Otherwise, methinks that this does not bode well for future dealings
with the FCC.

73, ron wn3vaw

"And if I claim to be a wise man,
It surely means that I don't know"