[TenTec] Re: Ten-Tec Orion - Initial Impressions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten-Tec Orion - Initial Impressions
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Thu May 22 17:36:24 2003
In my original report on the Orion, I wrote:

"2) There is a feature in the menu to adjust the center frequency of the
narrow (250Hz and 500Hz) crystal filters.  The factory default setting is
"0"  (adjustable from -250 to +250 -- Hertz, I assume).  I have both
filters (Ten-Tec - not INRAD), and both of them require the -250 setting
on UCW and the +250 setting on LCW.  I have the UCW setting stored in
User1 memory and the LCW stored in User2 memory so that I can choose
either.  The down side of this is that if I want to switch from upper to
lower CW to eliminate closeby QRM, It takes about 5 or ten seconds for
the User recall to complete.  When it does, the signal has to be tuned in
again because of the ~500Hz shift due to the xtal filters requiring an
offset correction, so to speak.  The only answer to this that I see is
that any narrow xtal filters that you use in the radio must be exactly
centered without resorting to any "fudge" factor."
After playing around with the center frequency adjustments for my filters
I found that I could get them adjusted on properly and switch between UCW
and LCW without having to retune the signal.  It turns out that different
center frequency adjustments are *not* needed for both UCW and LCW and
everything works out fine when they are adjusted properly.

Therefore, remove my statement about CW filter C.F. adjustments from my
"down side" list.

Still learning this radio!

73, de Earl, K6SE