[TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue May 27 18:16:31 2003
On 20 May 2003 I wrote in my "Initial Impressions" post:

"I have a very weak signal on 1830kHz (3rd harmonic from a local AM BC
station on 610 kHz) that I use to "test" receivers on 160m.  With the NR
off, the signal is barely audible.  With the NR on at its lowest setting,
the signal appears to jump out of the noise.  Turning the NR to 9 (wide
open) makes the signal Q5 copy (if were a CW signal)."
==========
When I did that test I was elated that the Orion's NR performed so well
on CW because I felt it gave me a new weapon to hear those weak DX
signals on 160m CW.  However, when I run that same test now, the NR is
quite ineffective.  I've tried everything and cannot duplicate the
original results.  The only thing I can think of is that I did the
original NR test when the radio still had software v1.337 in it (which it
came with when it was new.  Since then I upgraded to v1.341 and later to
v1.342.

I just reverted back to v1.341 and that made no difference in the way the
NR performs on CW.  From reading the revision history file, it appears
that the only change as far as NR is concerned was in v1.339.

If anybody out there has a copy of the v1.337 update, I would greatly
appreciate it if you can send it to me via an e-mail attachment.  I sure
would like to try it and see if the NR performs like it originally did.

The way the NR is now, it is just about totally ineffective when the DSP
BW is narrowed down to CW bandwidths.  It works fine on SSB bandwidths.

73, tnx, de Earl, K6SE