[TenTec] Re: Orion Noise Reduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion Noise Reduction
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu May 29 22:37:51 2003
--- K2ZF@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 5/29/03 1:15:42 AM !!!First
> Boot!!!, nq5t@attbi.com writes:
>
> << I don't know quite how to describe what I mean by
> "apparent noise".
>  What I observe is that at narrow bandwidths,
> turning on NR
>  increases the overall volume level of the noise,
> and changes it's
>  character to some extent (more LF components).
> Doesn't seem to
>  matter much what the NR level is set to.  It's
> enough of an increase
>  to reach for the gain control over in some cases.
>   >>

> This NR effect sounds somewhat like the NR in the
> Kachina 505DSP. Users of
> the Kachina probably know what I am referring to.
> Being that Doug Smith was
> involved in the Kachina, maybe he could produce an
> explanation.
> 73 de Jim  K2ZF

This seems pretty consistent with my experiences with
the Pegasus vs. 505DSP. The 505DSP doesn't so much
?reduce? the overall sound level of the noise
surrounding a desired weak signal but will instead
tend to "peak" a relatively coherent signal (like CW)
which is present in the noise. The Pegasus on the
other hand seems to lower the overall noise level but
does not tend to accentuate or peak the desired
signal. As such the 505DSP has the performance edge
for recovering weak signals amongst the noise whereas
the Pegasus produces "cleaner" sounding audio with
relatively strong desired signals on a noisy band.

Duane
N9DG