[TenTec] Future TT projects

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Future TT projects
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Sat May 31 13:16:12 2003
>A "tween" rig between Jupiter and Orion. An updated and upgradable version
>of the Omni VI+, with a single reciever, two VFO's, etc., at a price point
>of $2200-2500. Omni VII?

I agree that this is a good idea.  What I had in mind was a sort of 1/2
Orion priced at around $1400.  a.k.a. a single 32 bit proc. Jupiter.  The
Jup would be discontinued & this would become the Jupiter II.

>A "junior" version of the Jupiter,  with frequency readout and mode leds
>instead of a screen, for a 100 watt HF mobile rig. Diana, perhaps?  Price
>point, $1,000 to $1,250.

This is basically an Argo V with a PA.  Perhaps this could be done right now
by getting an Elecraft K2 PA kit and driving it with an Argonaut.

>A 1,000 to 1,500 watt  solid state amplifier, with your option of  either a
>12 to 50 volt inverter with provision for a built in battery to keep the
>max drain off the vehicle's electrical system, or a 50 V  70 A power supply
>for AC use; and a "low range" auto antenna tuner for up to 3:1 SWR or so.
>Should sell well at around $4,000 or a bit over.

I doubt if this is going to happen.  1.  TT tried a ss amp and it apparently
flopped.  At any rate it was discontinued.  2.  Most hams considering 1 kw
really want at least 1.2 kw or better yet, 1.5 with some headroom.  The
world of amp owners can be divided into those who want 1.2 kw+ and folks who
are happy with ~ 800 w. and below on a 120 v. line.  I realize you said 1 to
1.5 but the two JA ss amps are 1 kw and have not done very well (but also
because of price).   Even if someone had a legal limit ss amp on the market,
most hams would go with tubes because for now, they are cheaper.  There
would be a few who would not mind the watt/dollar ratio of a 1.5 kw ss amp
but not enough to justify the engineering investment.  I heard that at
Dayton someone had a ss amp rated at over 1.5 kw but they want an arm and a
leg.  Now, if TT could bring to market a legal limit ss amp selling for the
same as the Titan III (which ain't cheap imo), that would be different.
That would spell the end of tube 1.5 kw but for now, I think these things
are just too expensive to make and sell for that amount.  most hams would
rather save $$ and manually tune (except perhaps some contesters who want
fast band changes).  my 2 c.

73,
Rob Atkinson
K5UJ