[TenTec] Why Ethernet?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why Ethernet?
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sat May 31 16:01:38 2003
While USB and Firewire would certainly be capable of
the bandwidths required for both streaming digitized
signal data and control, they do have one big
limitation, - distance. With Ethernet (running TCP/IP)
there would be essentially no limit to the distance
that your control/audio I/O panel could be from the
radio itself (assuming the link has sufficient
bandwidth and adheres to the Quality of Services
protocols). The USB and Firewire technologies on the
other hand are limited to just 10's of feet. Single
runs of 100base-T Ethernet are good for 100's of feet;
fiber can be into the 1000's of feet.

Ethernet also is media independent; in other words you
can use Cat 5, fiber optic, or wireless (QRM potential
for operating on 902 MHz and 2.3 GHz bands though).
Fiber optic being extremely useful for avoiding RFI
issues. Fiber optic can also be very useful for
managing lightning risks with tower (or tower base)
remote mounted gear. You can get a reasonably priced
and adequate RJ45 crimping tool locally. Then with
some bulk Cat5 cable and a package of RJ45 connectors
you can make your own TIA-568 spec network cables most
any length you want (within the spec). And do this for
much less money than buying Firewire or USB cables (or
even pre-made Cat 5 cables). I don't think there are
lot of "do it yourself" tools out there for making
Firewire or USB cables.

Ethernet is a totally open and well-established
standard that has shown remarkable evolution while
maintaining backward compatibility. This is important
for our radios because they don't fade away in few
short years like most consumer electronics do.

The underlying logic for making the black box radio
components talk Ethernet is for total versatility, for
a standalone box radio a simple cross over cable is
all you need. For more sophisticated station
configurations it's just a matter of assembling a
standard TCP/IP network using the inexpensive off the
shelf and easy to acquire components that best match
what you are trying to do.

As for all those pesky existing RS232 devices they
will be with us for a long time, unfortunately finding
new computers with RS232 ports is increasingly
difficult. And the USB to RS232 adapters are not
always cooperative either. So for the foreseeable
future I plan to use multiport PCI cards, you can get
one with 4 RS232 ports for about $100, the one I have
just works, no muss no fuss.

Duane
N9DG