[TenTec] rs-232,usb,-vs-ethernet

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] rs-232,usb,-vs-ethernet
From: n8coo@juno.com (n8coo@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jun 1 22:11:30 2003
Hi everyone,

My 2 cents worth on radio/computer communications:

1.  RS-232 - basic, even the latest and greatest network equipment still have
an RS-232 console port, works with almost anything.  Far from gone.  May be too
slow, but still works when all else fails.

2.  USB - I would think there wouldn't be any great issues, except for maybe RF
interference from other devices(?), still will take $ to implement on the
radio.  Can't be too far off for radios, I would think.  Should take care of
the log-jams.  Little if any user configuration needed.  Not every PC has USB.
USB 1 or 2 though?

3.  Ethernet AND TCP/IP, now you are talking NETWORK. There's a big difference
between serial communications and connecting to a network.  A lot more to it
than plugging in a cheap piece of hardware to your PC like a nic.  SOFTWARE,
HARDWARE, PROCESSING, ETC.  These are things that your RADIO will have to
implement, not just your PC.  Network issues:  where I work we have a whole
department that does nothing but makes things play right on the network
(Pre-Production/Test Lab)  They are busy all the time.  Amazing what the
slightest software and hardware changes can do to the network, speed and
otherwise.  Could be tough on a radio manufacturer, esp. a small one, to make
sure their radio and/or software is compatible with everything else out there.
Things DO affect each other on a network.

The idea of networking is fantastic for those that want it, but DON'T be led to
think
it-wouldn't-cost-very-much-and-it's-so-easy--so-why-isn't-Ten-Tec-and-everyone-doing-it.
  There isn't the number of radios manufactured anywhere close to the number of
PCs and other computer equipment being made.  I'm sure if the radio
manufacturers think enough will buy into into, literally, they will sell it.

 73, Mark N8COO

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!