[TenTec] Why Ethernet?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why Ethernet?
From: mark.rauchfuss@worldnet.att.net (Mark Rauchfuss)
Date: Mon Jun 2 08:14:17 2003
Because there will be other devices which will require higher bit rates &
bandwidth and therefore a communication physical layer and communication
protocol capable of supporting the other nodes in a distributed
architecture. If these other devices are real-time or moreover require Hard
Real Time communications, then 232 just will not come anywhere close to
providing this capabilty.

Since we will need such higher bit-rate & higher bandwidth services, we
might as well adopt a protocol which will be able to support thr
requirements for all the nodes in such an architecture. The slower devices
will function just fine. Personally, I like ethernet and TTP-C, running on a
twisted pair (~ 5mb/sec/channel x 2= 10mb/sec. for non-safety critical
applications) or perhaps MOST again on a twisted pair, since our
requirements are not for safety-critical and therefore will not need a true
Fault-Tolerant protocol.

Ethernet is the way to go, if we want to use a "solid physical" layer.

802.11b could be another approach, particularly if the address codes for the
various nodes use encrypted packets and where the encryption key is
effectively the address code...but this discussion will explode into an
endless subset of endless explainations, and I don't want to go here.

Mark