[TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration
From: ptomlinson@ntlworld.com (Paul Tomlinson)
Date: Tue Jun 3 20:27:56 2003
Don't forget that WWV can also suffer from Doppler and phase shifting due to
changing atmospheric conditions.

For the ultimate in stable signal sources, you need to reference against one
of the VLF standards.

Here in Europe, we have DCF in Germany on 77.5KHz, MSF 60KHz, BBC Radio 4
198KHz, HBG 75KHz and France Inter on 162KHz.
I've no idea what you have in North America or elsewhere.

If you want to read a good article regarding frequency standards,
measurements and use that is relatively easy to digest, see RadCom June
2003, the
current issue of the RSGB journal.
The lead technical article entitled "Accurate frequency measurement" Walter
Blanchard G3JKV  pages 58-63 inclusive, and includes explanation of the
different types of TCXO and why using WWV to calibrate your radio to the
nearest Hz is unwise under certain circumstances.

Hope this helps..

Paul MW0CDO.