[TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Wed Jun 4 15:18:29 2003
At 02:58 PM 6/4/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>When I was first hooking up my RX340, I accidentally plugged my HF antenna
>into the external reference input. The front panel LED actually lit
>indicating that the RX340 had detected a 10 MHz reference signal (probably
>WWV) on that input. Since you are so close to WWVH, why don't you try
>hooking up a 10 MHz antenna (as close as you are, maybe just the proverbial
>'wet noodle') to your RX340 reference input and see what happens?

That certainly qualifies as an interesting idea, *but*:

You might want to put a pair of 1v zener diodes (or any diode that'll
conduct at approx 1 v) across the input, and you want to put a pair of
tuned circuits -- one before the diodes, one after -- to keep your signal
restricted to 10 MHz.

You can use multiple frequencies as references -- see your manual.  Likewise,
the standard input can only accept up to 1v p-p as input.

Nonetheless, using WWVH is really a creative idea.  I'd like to see you
run with that one!

(On the tuned circuits:  The receiver itself will only accept a standard
that is very very close to the internal reference -- if it drifts off, it'll
be rejected.  So you aren't substituting an LC tank for your TCXO...)

Eric