[TenTec] Cutting edge radio [Was: great RX320 review]

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Cutting edge radio [Was: great RX320 review]
From: gw7lhi@hotmail.com (Paul MW0CDO)
Date: Wed Jun 11 17:21:14 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Duane Grotophorst" <n9dg@yahoo.com>
To: <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>; <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 3:10 AM

> If you are into this kind of thing then you need to
> check out the SDR-1000 at:
>
> http://www.flex-radio.com/
>
> You will find that it does all of the things you seek.
> Be sure to read the theory of its operation,
> particularly the direct conversion/sampling "detector"
> design that it uses. It is a very intriguing and
> clever approach to getting the I/Q signals simply and
> inexpensively. And to also do it with NO non-linear
> devices in the receive signal path, .... hmmmm - I
> wonder what that can do for improving IMD??? However I
> would really like to see it put through the standard
> ARRL RX tests just to see what its limitations are as
> I'm sure there are some.
>
> Now only if a company like Ten Tec would further
> commercialize its basic design approach by building
> its low level RF components onto a PCI card along with
> the A to D conversion process (instead of using a
> sound card for that part). Then the dream of an
> Ethernet based radio would be much closer to reality
> sooner rather than later. Just let a dedicated
> $500/2GHz host PC handle all of that Ethernet overhead
> work.
>
> Needless to say I'm following the SDR-1000's
> development closely, once there is software available
> for it that is capable of doing some of the things
> that I really want to do I'll probably add one to my
> shack. If it proves that it can do those things
> effectively then who knows what that will lead to...
>
> Duane
> N9DG

Some of you may like to look at this SDR developed in the UK.
It's known as a CDG2000, but I don't think it will fit on a PCI card :-)

http://www.warc.org.uk/cdg2000/The%20CDG2000%20Transceiver.htm

I don't think that it's quite as advanced as the SDR1000, but you can
customise the software yourself and it has 100 watts out of the antenna
socket.

The receiver is hot too.

I don't think that any one supplier holds all the components required to
build it, nor have I seen any kit suppliers advertising kits.
The authors will also supply you with a CD on request, containing all the
documentation, code etc. Not sure if there's a fee for the CD.
The authors can supply empty PCB's.

Paul MW0CDO.