[TenTec] Hercules II Remote Bandswitching

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II Remote Bandswitching
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 1 14:48:34 2003
Mike, they are not at all hard to make. I made several for use with my
Omni's, both with and without the Y for the computer serial port.  I stripped
the
jacket off  a prebuilt "25 wire straight through" serial cable, doubled the
wires into the Molex pins, crimped them and being a belt and suspenders sort
soldered the connections for good measure.

Work ONE wire at a time,  check to make sure you slip the pin in the right
connector, and it will work every time. But, like doing anything else, "measure
twice and  cut once."  In this case it might be better to measure three or
four times before you slip that pin in. They are aggravating to get out without
the right tool.

I have a couple left, but they are currently on active rigs. But I'm
replacing the Omni's with Orion's so I may have one for sale later.  Speaking
of
cables,  the T-T level converter for the serial port is also hard to come by.

The 'GEE  IC735 interface from PDA (www.hosenose.com) works extremely well
with the VI and + , and makes it easy to interface the rig to your logging
program. BUT make sure the rig address (4 is the default) and the baud rate is
the
same as the logging program expects to see.  Otherwise it gets to be hair
pulling time shortly.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E