[TenTec] Corsair II tricks and tips

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II tricks and tips
From: wb8yqj@yahoo.com (Don Rasmussen)
Date: Wed Jul 2 14:54:29 2003
Hi Guys,

I recently tried a Q-tip with some DeOxit on the slide
on connectors of my Corsair II, top and bottom. This
cured intermittent low S meter readings.

DeOxit was also used on the external receiver switch
to cure intermittent dropping out of the receive,
where a tap on the keyer would also bring it back.

The large amplifier relay has been disabled to allow
diode only switching for fast and quiet keying.

There is a great padding resistor mod in the AGC
circuit for the Corsair II to eliminate popping on
strong CW and SSB signals on receive.

The PTO needs to be rebuilt because the axle grease
gums up, sometimes within a year of rebuild there will
be the warble. I've done this several times and rarely
do you really need new PTO parts. WD40 removes the
hardened grease. On the Corsair II, it's really not
hard to get inside of it to do the work. The hardest
part for me was these cut up safety pins that were
placed on the (front panel) main mounting screws to
ride along the main tuning shaft. This does ground the
shaft nicely but I am not bothered by the slight
effect that occurs without it, and besides it makes
the PTO harder to get in and out. Also, the shaft
(which is not a part of the rebuild kit) will be
scored from friction.

The number of washers on the outside of the PTO endcap
determines the stiffness of the PTO. I use two for one
Corsair, and one on each side for the another. This is
critical and is based upon the stiffness of the
lubricant and the specific parts in your PTO. It is
also affected by the amount of pressure of the main
tuning knob on the felt behind it. It takes
experimentation (time and attention) to get it right.
I used Radio Shack silicon lube for an attempt at
longer life - so far so good!

I also tried using two washers inside the endcap,
rather than only one as suggested in the rebuild
instructions. They have the smooth sides facing each
other as suggested by a list member here.

I use an Inrad 2.8 filter for the solder in filter and
a .01 cap in the first plug in slot for high fidelity
SSB audio.

The last plug in filter position has more gain than
the other two, put the filter having the greatest
attenuation there.

Lastly, I use an Astron PS with an Airpax circuit
breaker, even though I've been told that the
activation time on the breaker leaves too much time
for possible damage to the finals.

I am learning not to be alarmed anymore when some
little thing pops up with the rig, it's a very solid
design and most of the issues are simple and well
documented.

I have been concerned about the power wiring that is
on the underside of the Corsair II, there are these
"C" joints where it appears the wires are slid into
them and that breaks the insulation of the wire for
contact. I am wondering how these do over time.

Have I left anything out? !

73,
de WB8YQJ/6