[TenTec] Corsair ON/OFF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair ON/OFF
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu Jul 10 15:42:00 2003
We have contrasting opinions on the topic;  and I thank
each of the many of you who have offered one both private
and on the reflector.

>From Paul, W8KC:

> Been using the on/off switch on my Corsair almost daily for
> 20 years!  That amounts to something like 7,300 cycles.  I
> wonder how many operations the switches were designed
> to withstand?  Somehow, I bet it's a lot more than 7,000.

And factually,  from Duane,  N9DG:

> It doesn't matter, but they both need to be "ON" in
> order to turn the radio on. The power switch of the
> Corsair is in series with the power switch of the 961.
> Those switches are switching the 125VAC primary
> voltage not the 13.8V DC...

And from Jim,  N4AL comes this:

> On/off switches on the Corsair II work like those on the Triton IV.
> Someone at Ten Tec (probably Garland Jenkins) told me to leave
> the rig switch for the Triton constantly on and use the PS switch.
> The push-pull switch on the Triton will wear out sooner.

Finally,  from Jerry,  K0CQ:

> Its probably a better option to switch the power supply from
> an external easily replaced switch such as on an outlet strip.
> That cuts down on power supply and radio repair.

And,  presumably,  he means that the push/pull switch on
the Corsair is always left ON.

So there you have a spread of advice on the topic.  Believe
I will adopt Jerry's,  hi.

Thanks again and 73,  Jim KH7M

PS:  Now you see what I am left to do awaiting the return of
my Orion!