[TenTec] dbm and VU units of audio measurement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] dbm and VU units of audio measurement
From: tjednacz@ieee.org (Thomas Jednacz)
Date: Tue Jul 29 17:04:32 2003
I was a broadcast engineer for a while and our meters were VU meters and
calibrated as discussed before. Just another input. Interesting to learn how
different industries do things.

73, Tom, W7QF

Hi Stuart,

Not to argue the toss, but...

In all my 35 years in the international telecom industry, I never ran across
dBmw. All our voice-frequency (VF) level meters were calibrated in dBm.

0 dBm  = -30 dBW = 1 mW, independent of impedance. We had 75-ohm selective
level meters (for multiplex alignment) and 50-ohm RF power meters which were
also calibrated in dBm.

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ