Re: [TenTec] Interesting problem and solution

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Interesting problem and solution
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:55:06 -1000
K. Indart wrote:

Hi,
Tell me how long you want the coax cable to be and I will make one up for
you guaranteed......and GRATIS,     It will be good grade commercial US
made
coax, either 50 or 75 ohms, your choice, and by return mail.
  I have an Omni VI+ and a Titan 425 and no problems here.

Note: Those RCA plugs and jacks are not always the best; specially the jack
contacts can become spread and not make good and reliable contact. RCA
plugs were designed for AUDIO, but Collins was the first to use them for low
level RF and Heath followed.............

Hello K.

Thanks for the offer. Sure I could use a set of good cables, instead of the cheesy Philmore/Calrad/Radio Schlock ones I am using. I could use two each three foot long, and one five foot long cable. Impedance is not important for this application, RG-58 is probably nicer than RG-59 since it is a little more flexible. This should accomodate any arrangement of my Omni VI, Titan and 253 that I am likely to try. I bought the premade cables because I couldn't find any phono connectors that I liked. The options available here on the big island (Hawaii) are not so diverse as what you are probably accustomed to.

Yes I am familiar with Heath's use of RCA phono connectors. In about 1973 I had a complete SB series. The SB-301 and SB-401 were bought used from separate parties, except the speaker, console and "scanalyzer" which my Dad gave me as Christmas presents and I built. So I had to build a lot of RCA phono cables to get all the oscilator signals hooked up and make it work in transceive mode on either VFO, or even backwards, or dual frequency receive. Some of these features were not standard.

Thanks for the offer,

Ken Brown N6KB
P.O. Box 11288
Hilo, HI 96721