Re: [TenTec] TT Centurion SOLD

To: "Ten-Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Centurion SOLD
From: "john, ke5c" <ke5c@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:43:35 -0500
> To: tentec@contesting.com
> Subject: [TenTec] TT Centurion SOLD
> From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
>
> The Centurion has been sold. Thanks to all who viewed my ads. 73, Todd

this is a great amp!  i've read the recent centurion comments, so i am a
day late and dollar short with this reply, but i will confirm that kd7efq
promptly shipped a great centurion with rf parts 3-500zg's.  the only
scratches i've found are internal on the *inside* top rear rale where
someone previously slide the top cover off.  with somewhere around 230 v,
i am getting 1150 - 1200 maximum on all bands, although i will ragchew (40
cw - look for me) around 800 because of concern for neighborly relations.
the qsk with my vi+ is a real treat.  previously i was using a borrowed
kenwood tl-922, which i still have, but i made the move solely to get
qsk - and a centurion which matches my vi+ and 238 tuner.  as others have
said, this may not be the amp for a 48 hour cw/rtty contest because at
high power it will warm up, but for casual ragchewing, it's looking great,
and i like the instant on for casual use.  that is not a problem during a
contest since the amp will be on all the time and the three minure warmup
is not an issue.

speaking of the 238, i had just enough more watts than with the tl-922
(couple hundred more) to arc over one of the rear standoff style
insulators internally - the through bolt arc'ed to the edges of the rear
panel mounting hole.  on 40 i run an "inverted doublet", an inverted vee
with 60 foot legs center feed with ladder line which connects to the balun
inputs on the 238.  i imagine with the current length of feedline, i am
feeding it at a high voltage point, so i'll snip several feet off and see
if i can avoid this in the future.  previously i lost one of the fixed
capacitors on this same band, so my 238 isn't talking to me (or anything
else) right now, but the insulators are on order ...

73, john