Re: [TenTec] Titan tuning drift on 160 meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan tuning drift on 160 meters
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:47:46 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/03 9:08:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ken.d.brown@verizon.net writes:
So since I have been unable to find my own stock of
doorknob caps (except for the giant ones that are nearly as big as the
tubes in the Titan) I am probably going to have to mail order some.

Your most likely #1 culprit is C15 400 pF. Then #2 and 3 would be C17 and C16.
You might want to try to minimize the drift by using say 4x 100 pF or 8x 50
pF caps in parallel for C15. This divides the current among the caps and
minimizes the heating and a drift in capacitance. The same goes for C16 and
C17.
Doorknobs are best, but you might get away with paralleling ceramic or mica
(better) caps. Just stay withing the voltage ratings.

Yuri, K3BU