Re: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion's lack of color
From: "john, ke5c" <ke5c@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:35:50 -0500
> Please, not this again...  How many QSO's do you
> make with your eyes?  All of mine are using my ears...
> If you want a color display, please buy and IC-756Pro2 and
> tune it to Oprah while I work the stuff it can't hear!  <ggg>

>From what I saw this weekend at the W5 DX BASH (http://www.dxbash.com/), a
lot of folks probably will - buy the Icom.  An Orion and a Pro 2 were
side-by-side at the operating positions, and I spent about two hours Friday
and about two more today watching the goings-on.  The Pro 2 operating seat
was rarely empty.  I arrived early to get a chance at the Orion, but that
turned out to have been unnecessary.  The Orion comments focused on the b/w
screen, the wobbly tuning knobs, the price, and the slow encoder tuning
rate - even when set to "fast" in the "other" menu.  The Icom comments
focused on how they fixed the bugs and design issues in the 756 Pro by
bringing out the Pro 2 while  not doing anything to remedy those who
purchased the original Pro.  Operationally, I don't recall any negatives
voiced about the Pro 2.  Lately I have noticed that my 6+ is working more
and more Pro 2's during 40 meter CW ragchews, and I've yet to work a single
Orion.

73, John