[TenTec] FW: [Icom] RE: Icom Japan IC-7800 announcement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FW: [Icom] RE: Icom Japan IC-7800 announcement
From: "RM" <kamar@inr.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 06:23:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: icom-admin@mailman.qth.net [mailto:icom-admin@mailman.qth.net] On
Behalf Of George, W5YR
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 15:17
To: icom@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Icom] RE: Icom Japan IC-7800 announcement

Icom's strategy here seems fairly open:

1. develop a basic architecture adaptable to the commercial/military markets
where the real money is.

2. build and sell a first generation to the amateur market to prepare them
for the second generation, and recoup development $$ by using the initial
model to replace the 1000+ IC-781's used throughout the world primarily in
government service.

3. meld the affordable elements of the 7800 with those of the PRO2 and
produce the PRO3, selling in the amateur market for a street price of around
$3000. With the essence of the 7800 front end and superb display and the
PRO2 DSP capabilities - enhanced with still newer and faster DSP chipsets -
the PRO3 would outperform the ORION, the K2 and any other existing HF design
in that market.

Only educated guesswork on my part, but obviously Icom understands the
amateur marketplace as well or better than any other company. Yaesu and
Kenwood seem to be rapidly seeking disengagement from the amateur world what
with their stubborn resistance to bringing out DSP IF radios, the only
architecture which will survive the next few years.

A few of our fortunate brethren will buy and enjoy the 7800 and thereby
generate demand for a similar product more affordably priced. Hence, the
stage is being set for a PRO3 which will be the radio of choice for every
amateur radio activity involving desk-top equipment.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of
Dallas in Collin county EM13QE "Starting the 58th year and it just keeps
getting better!"
w5yr@att.net