Re: [TenTec] One complicated radio!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] One complicated radio!
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:14:07 EST
OK, Guys, help me ut with this.
I am a new ORION user.

Are these issues (the interaction of RF gain, AGC threshold and decay, and
BW) design issues, meaning does the ORION design / implementation have some
problems? OR... are these issues necessary to get a better performing RX
function.

Using a 1000MP, 756 PROII (OR any other good TCVR)  we don't seem to have to
worry too much about these issues, and while admittedly, these radios don't
have the FRONT END roofing filter flexibility (and advantages of those filters)
the AGC seems to work pretty well and on my 746 PRO the multiple AGC loops
management seems to be pretty good.

I have spent many hours so far with the AGC settings, NR settings BW etc, and
have learned a lot about ORION (more to learn!) but, I am trying to
understand how the complexity / added parameters really give me a better radio??

Thanks,
Lee