Re: [TenTec] One complicated radio!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] One complicated radio!
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:26:37 EST
Speaking of 'threshold' being a new user of ORION... the first thing I
noticed when using ORION, and doing an A/B test with my $1400 746 PRO was the
noise
level of the RX.

Since then I have learned a lot, by the way I love a radio you CAN
tweak,,,BUT so far I have not found out exactly how tweaking can make the ORION
sound
the way it should (in my humble opinion). Have NOT given up, just concerned
that
I CAN get there???

Oh, by the way, I have Collins, Drake, that are in top condition, along with
my 746 PRO as radios that I use regularly. So we are talking abouy 1950's to
2003 technogy comapisons.

I really like the way ORION is laid out and the menu system is super easy to
use. I like the fact that you don't have to think about symbols and what they
mean, like on my 746 PRO. So, anybody that is concerned about this being an
overly complicated radio,,, don't worry about that at all, it's easy to learn.
AGC and NR is a learning curve however.... HEY it's fun to learn new things!!

SO BOTTEM LINE, MY QUESTION IS:
Is ORION OK? or are we doing all this tweaking beacuse there are some
problems making it work the way we all want AND EXPECT it to?

Thanks,
Lee