[TenTec] Bavarian Contest Club / Orion Review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Bavarian Contest Club / Orion Review
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:32:53 EST
Hello, I have learned that Amateur operators can have ego disorders running
from extreme neurosis to severe charachter disorders, Hi Hi. I think ultimately
there needs to be a comparison of all the top line radios at once, ie:Orion,
IC-7800, 756proII, FT1000MP, TS-870 etc. as this will be a more apples to
apples comparison. However, I do have a feeling that the author was right in
suggesting the Orion may become the contest rig of choice. With a ham band only
main reciever and 7 roofing filters, I believe it will outperform even the new
IC-7800 in contesting, as I read that the new 7800 uses a 6khz wide roofing
filter due to it's general coverage reciever. Also, even though the 7800 has 4
processors, one is dedicated to its fancy display, one to the DSP, and one to
each reciever, whereas I understand the Orion combines both processors for the
work required, giving more potential proccessing for the
more important tasks at hand.

I hope to see this type of comparison in the next year or so. Thanks to BCC
for their contribution.

73, Todd

"The Race is over...THE RATS WON"