Re: [TenTec] Bavarian Contest Club / Orion Review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bavarian Contest Club / Orion Review
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:48:05 EST
In a message dated 11/27/03 11:33:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, KD7EFQ@aol.com
writes:
>>I think ultimately
there needs to be a comparison of all the top line radios at once, ie:Orion,
IC-7800, 756proII, FT1000MP, TS-870 etc. as this will be a more apples to
apples comparison. However, I do have a feeling that the author was right in
suggesting the Orion may become the contest rig of choice.<<

I have been hording "top line" radios and planning to do "contester's" review
and comparisson including K6SE weak signal tests and K3BU overload tests.
Unfortunately been too QRL with real life QRM and barely had a time to have a
close look at Orion. I will use it this weekend on 40CW and try to get the feel
for it.

No question the design philosophy is finally centering on strong signal
handling and the system design centered around good front end with selection of
(roofing) filters close to the antenna, combination of DSP selectivity in IF
and
ganging with AGC, low noise synthesizers is a major step in design of
performance radios. But there is a lot of room for $1 improvements in $3.6k
radio.
 So far I am wondering about background noise level without antenna (masking
K6SE "calibrators"?), reported quiting in the middle of the contest requiring
reboot. Bench is waiting for the tests and review, I hope to find some free
time soon.
In the mean time Happy Thanksgiving to all Tentecians and hope to work you
all on 40 CW.

Yuri, K3BU.us
Tesla RC N2EE