[TenTec] Transceiver Nirvana/Transceiver Pricing

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Transceiver Nirvana/Transceiver Pricing
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:36:05 -0500
Duane G. wrote:

No matter how you slice it all ham radio gear today is
less expensive in inflation-adjusted real terms than
they have ever been at any time in history of ham
radio, - for any level of performance.

I was not referring to analog radios. For example, the Mark V Field is now $1689 new--a terrific price on a basically analog radio with dual receivers, etc. I concede that there has never been a better time to buy a Mark V Field but . . . it's a very old design.

When I mentioned the hit on our pocketbooks I was referring to radios that didn't exist three or four years ago (most of the Mark V's circuitry harks back to the 80s--if that's what you want, fine), hence are not susceptible to such price/value comparisons. Since the designs are new (for us hams, that is), the manufacturers are going to charge whatever it takes, and it looks as if what it takes is a heavy up-front investment, and this substantial outlay must be recovered in the sale of X number of rigs.

I regard $3300+ for the Orion and $8000-9000 for the IC-7800 as constituting a significant hit on the pocketbook, and it looks as if that is just the beginning, since there's no doubt we will be seeing second and third generation variations of these high-end leaders. What I was suggesting is if this is the brave new world, I'm not sure I want to be in it.

I understand work is going on on true software designs--more power to those folks--but I wonder what value in the end this work will offer for hams who, like me, cannot write a line of software code and who essentially have to take what the manufacturers provide.

'Nuff said.

73,
John, W3ULS