Re: [TenTec] PS grounding

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PS grounding
From: "Edward Crawford" <w4wvw@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:16:02 -0500
I believe the person who originated this thread said one of their supplies was
an Alinco DM-330.
My Alinco DM-340MV supply (35 amp max; linear) has no ground on the AC line
cord.
One of the chassis screws on the rear panel is designated as a ground.
What is the rule of thumb to follow in that situation? Is it a safety or
performance issue?
I have never used an RF grounding system in the shack and have never had
reports of RF on the audio.
I know Ten-Tec specifies all their equipment should be tied together to the
ground lug on the supply,
and the supply tied to the station ground. All the T-T supplies I have are
grounded thru the AC cord.
Seems like this dual ground would, as you say, create a ground loop and a
probability for problems.
I have tried bonding the equipment to the ground lug on the T-T supply just to
see; could not tell
any difference in performance one way or the other.
I guess my question is, am I confused or what? <g>

73. Ed/w4wvw