Re: [TenTec] Orion --- K2

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion --- K2
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:06:04 -0600

snip

Perhaps in a perfect world you are correct but in a real world things don't usually work that way. The ARRL will perform product reviews when they are >provided a review sample and when they have the resources available to perform it.>

It was my impression that the ARRL purchased the unit they were going to review. Further that the particular unit was a typical unit (no special preparation for the review by the manufacturer). When the review was completed the unit belonged to the ARRL and was normally sold to the highest bidder from an ARRL member.

Not in this world will they ever have the resources to keep re-testing current production samples of all rigs whenever a new one emerges. I guess therefore, we as potential purchasers will have to interpret the published facts based upon our later knowledge of change. Or I guess we could stump up the cash to fund a re-test of the rigs we are particularly interested in at a time that is relevent to us. Though the cost of the testing could likely approach or even exceed the cost of both rigs being tested so I doubt many would want to entertain that suggestion.

As the owner and assembler of K2 S/N 997 and K2 S/N 3483 and having fitted all enhancements to S/N 997, I don't believe the test of a S/N 3000+ K2 would make any material difference to the ARRL measured performance. Of course Eric and Wayne may disagree, as might you, BUT unless someone is up for carrying the cost of a retest the issue is moot!

I do not own the K2, if I should get one, the time spent assembling would be considered a learning experience and I wouldn't consider that time as a "cost", my first station I built from Heath kits (DX-60, and SB-300) and it was quality time putting it together.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F