Re: [TenTec] PTT for CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PTT for CW
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:30:18 -0800
Its a handy feature if your keying an amplifier with a slow T/R relay.
Contest logging programs like TRlog close the PTT line a few
milliseconds before the CW starts. This can give a slow amplifier
T/R relay the jump on the RF envelope from the rig. Of course, you
could probably interface this signal directly with the amplifier and
not even involve the transceiver. On Kenwood rigs, it helps
make the station idiot proof, since you can typically switch a
Kenwood into full break-in mode from the front-panel. This is
fine if you are using a QSK amp, but if your using a non-QSK
amp, a guest op could easily push this button not knowing any
better and kill the amplifier TR relay real fast. If the PTT interface
is operating, the logging software will close the PTT, thus
holding the T/R closed during Tx regardless of the QSK setting.
Its also a handy feature if you are doing two-transmitter lock-out
(only one transmitted signal at a time).