[TenTec] Headphone clicks

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Headphone clicks
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 06:37:51 -0500
AA4NU wrote:
>At least TT did back off of that statement and then offer other alternatives
including changing the design of their production specs as of 05/30/03.
See .... <http://www.rfsquared.com/Orion/sd565-01.pdf>http://www.rfsquared.com/Orion/sd565-01.pdf for details.

If you read that carefully, you will see that it refers to a
"low-level tone". My Orion is circa 08/20/03 and I have never heard
the ~1500 Hz tone which K6SE complained about in May. My hearing is excellent and it is simply NOT there in my radio. The clicks are a
completely different issue, which I believe Ten-Tec is investigating.
Frankly the clicks don't bother me, but I agree that they should not
be there.

        Regarding the PTT issue, it is unlikely that Ten-Tec will be
able to correct this issue without a major hardware redesign of their
QSK, so all the griping in the world will not help.  Does it bother me?
Yes.  Am I willing to forego Orion's excellent receiver performance
because of this?  No way!  As someone said, no radio is perfect, but
Orion has far more plusses than minuses, which is the bottom line to me.

73, Bill W4ZV