[TenTec] Orion fault

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion fault
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:00:21 +0000
I have an intermittent problem with my Orion which was delivered last Tuesday. It may be that the problem is firmware related as I did not see it before I updated to V1.367 On the other hand, it may be nothing to do with the firmware. I wonder if any of you Orion users have seen anything like this?

When the fault is evident the side tone develops a rasping quality that I can best describe as having the characteristic you might observe when an rf arc strikes up somewhere in the system. That is what it sounds like though I don't think that's what it is, as the problem persists even if power output is wound right down to a minimum. Another thing I have observed, is that under normal circumstances when the sub rx is turned on the sidetone level increases as you here it from the output of both radios. When this fault occurs then turning on the sub rx reduces sidetone volume and turning it off increases it! The opposite of the norm. In both cases the sidetone retains it's rasping quality. Sometimes turning the radio off and back on will clear the problem, sometimes it does not. Sometimes the radio works fine and then the problem arises.

As I have only seen this problem since doing the update to 1.367 it seems logical to revert to 1.366 to see if that prevents the fault arising. Does anyone have a copy of the 1.366 file they can e-mail to me to try this? Anyone have any other thoughts?

Many thanks.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F