[TenTec] Orion, headphones, clicks, and such

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion, headphones, clicks, and such
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:04:55 -0600
So a pair of Koss PRO4AA headphones arrived today.  These have
a 250 ohm impedance.

The discussions of higher Z is better seem to hold water.  I've
noticed the following relatively dramatic improvements, compared to
my unusal low Z monitor headset:

1.  The CW switching transient in the left headphone channel is
significantly reduced -- still there, but no longer an issue as far as
I'm concerned

2.  The steady high pitched digital switching "whine" that many
observed early on with low Z phones is gone completely at normal
listening levels.  If I crank THRESHOLD all the way up and then
crank AF gain all the way up I can still barely hear it -- but that's not
exactly normal operation :-)  I think I recall that T-T fixed this in
newer production radios, so this may not have been something
many of you experienced.

3.  High frequency background white noise that I always noticed with
my old headset is completely gone (and the Koss is a MUCH better
headset than the old one ... and a lot more comfortable in the
bargain ...  so it isn't rolloff in the headset).

Probably just pointing out the obvious ....

Grant/NQ5T