RE: [TenTec] No ALC cable to AMP?

To: Adam Farson <farson@shaw.ca>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] No ALC cable to AMP?
From: "WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:09:43 -0500
IF what is said below is true, then none of the named
amplifiers is safe to use with any transciever!   Just imagine
what might happen if the ALC cable became disconnected.
Possible amplifier destruction regardless of what transceiver is
being used.

I think there must be some misunderstanding about the
protection function of the ALC line.  I don't believe any
manufacturer would produce a product whose fault protection
was the responsibility of some unknown other party.  Surely
the amplifiers mentioned have adequate built-in safety
protection without relying on the transceiver.

Regarding the use of ALC, I agree with the other posts here
that setting the transmit power to the desired level is all
that's needed.   It's worked very nicely here with my single 3-
500Z for over 15 years; one other advantage of Ten Tec's ALC
stabilized adjustable power output since the Triton days!

-73-

Lee  WA3FIY