[TenTec] Orion Prog AGC Threshold

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Prog AGC Threshold
From: "William H. Hein" <Bill@AA6TT.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:01:31 -0500
I noticed Scott W4PA frequently tweaking the Orion Prog AGC Threshold when
he was here operating CQ WW a few weeks ago and made a mental note to
experiment with this function myself.

With 160m season fully under way, I am really starting to love the Orion's
AGC versatility.  I've been twiddling the Prog AGC Threshold control on
marginal signals and find that quite often there is a "magic" setting that
pops the signal out of the noise (actually, it sounds like the band noise
drops leaving the signal alone).

This threshold varies signal to signal and minute to minute.  This feature
has helped me work a few new countries on Top Band the couple of weeks,
including 5X1X, TF8GX, ZB2FK, ZC4CW, et al.

Top of my Orion wish list is a way to adjust the Prog AGC Threshold without
drilling down to the MENUS level.  This is function I want to have immediate
and constant access to and having to hit the MENUS button to get at it is a
major hassle (MENUS mode disables the VFO and other knobs so leaving the
radio in this mode is not an option).

73,
Bill NT1Y